Applicable to Milnerton Ridge Neighbourhood Watch Members ONLY
Milnerton Ridge residents are encouraged to join the Neighbourhood Watch in order to be added to the Telegram Security app. This group has been set up for communication related to safety and security issues – for the Ridge area specifically.
The ALERTS group is only accessible to Milnerton Ridge Neighbourhood Watch members.
If you are not yet a member of our well-oiled neighbourhood watch, join by clicking on this link -> Join the Milnerton Ridge Neighbourhood Watch
Over and above our Telegram Alerts group, we also have a WhatsApp Social Group. This is where we post less urgent issues, such as lost pets, stuff for sale, notifications of noisy parties, etc. Please contact one of the admins to be added to this particular group, but bear in mind, it can get quite busy! A reminder that this group is also moderated and any members making racist, offensive or disrespectful remarks will be removed at the discretion of the administrators. Feel free to exit the group at any stage and ask to be re-added when needed.
Security Alerts Group Rules
- Only post SECURITY related issues that could affect Milnerton Ridge residents directly, i.e. within the boundaries of the suburb. Ask yourself the question before posting:
Do my neighbours need to be aware of this?
If the answer is Yes, please post.
- If there are events/problems that are external to Milnerton Ridge, but could most likely have an impact on our residents, please tag your post as a General Alert.
- Three things to remember when posting:
1) provide a good description of the observation or incident,
2) include the location of the issue, and,
3) what action has/has not been taken.
- Keep your post as brief and factual as possible.
- Pleasantries and emoticons are strongly discouraged. Comment only if your information adds value to a situation, so that everyone can remain focused – especially if an incident is ongoing.
- Do not post unconfirmed, forwarded information. First verify that the information is factually correct and you are able to state the origin of said information. If not 100% sure, message one of the admins privately so that they can perform a fact check first.
- No racist, offensive or disrespectful remarks will be tolerated
- Abbreviations or terms – as used by other security groups and entities – are acceptable. Race/ethnicity supports a good description of an individual.
- BM or Bravo Male(Female) – black
- CM or Charlie Male(Female) – coloured
- WM or Whiskey Male(Female) – caucasian
- Asian Male(Female) – eastern
- Information broadcast on Members Groups is confidential as per the NW Code of Conduct – do NOT share anything posted on our Alerts Group with anyone who is not a MRNW member
- No advertising permitted
- Accidental posts happen. Please not respond if it’s obviously not meant for the Alerts group. Admin will remove the post if the original poster does not.
- Please do not disparage our efforts at enforcing the Alerts groups rules. At times it may appear that we are draconian about enforcing these rules and concede that it is not always necessary in some cases. However, we are trying our best to make sure that the messages that do get posted gets everyone’s attention. We can’t do this if the forum becomes flooded with irrelevant posts – other members might become desensitized to the messages and the facility will lose it’s objective as a Security Alert process.
- Any URGENT incidents occurring between 11pm and 5am needs be be followed up with a phone call. Telegram has a voice call facility: Click on the Alerts Group ‘Pinned’ Message, click on an Admin user id, click on the Admin’s profile photo, and then on the telephone icon
- Kindly address any grievances related to these rules, or any actions we take, offline with one of the Admins.
The administrators reserve the right to remove anyone not abiding by the above rules – without reservation.
Be aware that when a message is sent, it is sent to all.
Again, if an alert is sent, only reply if you have something which will add value to the supplied information. We know you appreciate the warnings and that its good manners to say ‘Thank You’ etc., but we forgive you for leaving out this common courtesy in this instance.
Having said this, please exercise some tolerance for people that are not quite as savvy as others when it comes to electronic communication and need time to adjust. Don’t simply leave the group because you are irritated with the phone ‘pinging’ or ‘buzzing’ – you may need some help one day or be able to assist someone who does.
If you like, set the tone for Group chat to something less intrusive or turn notifications off. If it’s a different tone, you can then choose to ignore the message if you’re not available.
To exit from a group, click on the Group Name, click on the ellipses (three dots) and then on ‘Leave Group’.
It has happened in the past that people have accidentally left the group. In this case, simply e-mail email@example.com and request a link to be added back
We feel rather strongly about not advertising on the Alerts Group and members will be removed immediately if this rule is ignored.
If anyone wants to comment or offer suggestions on how to make this process more efficient, please feel free to contact us. All constructive input is welcome.